Sunday, November 11, 2012

Romney's Victory Strategy - What it should have been

Of course, I wanted Obama to win, so I kept this to myself.

But here's what Romney should have done:

Instead of putting out a lot of false and misleading ads during the last moments of the campaign, including predictions about how much taxes would have to be raised to pay for Obamacare, he should have focused on the fact that the only way Obamacare could be considered constitutional by the Supreme Court was through the determination that the individual mandate was a "tax."  All of Obama's claims about lowering taxes on the middle class simply don't wash if it's understood that the requirement to buy insurance is now a "tax."  There are a lot of middle-class self-employed people and small business owners out there who are already being hit hard in terms of increased insurance rates as a result of Obamacare, and a lot more will be slammed by the individual mandate.

I can't say I spent a lot of time watching the Republican ads this season, so perhaps this played some role.  But it got lost in the noise about all the lies.

Lest this post be read out of context, remember, I am for universal health care, but I have real problems with Obamacare's failure to forcefully address the "cost" problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment